GEONIS 2021 is compatible with ArcGIS 10.6.1 and 10.8.1 All future GEONIS releases will support these two ArcGIS versions. Learn why GEONIS is not released for ArcGIS 10.9.x, what we recommend and what it means if you still want to install ArcGIS 10.9.x.
ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 is the last version in which ArcMap is included. GEONIS will therefore not be available for ArcGIS 10.9. The reason for this is a change of the SDK from ArcObjects to the new ArcGIS Enterprise SDK. This new SDK is only supported by ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise as of version 10.9.
ArcGIS server will support both SDKs until version 10.9.x. However, version 10.9.x ships without ArcGIS Engine, which is based on ArcObjects. This means that it is technically possible in principle to run GEONIS server with ArcGIS 10.9.x. Nevertheless, we will not release a GEONIS server version that supports ArcGIS 10.9.x. Starting with version 10.10+ only the new ArcGIS Enterprise SDK will be supported with ArcGIS Server and therefore it will not be compatible with GEONIS server anymore.
Why will we not release GEONIS server for ArcGIS 10.9.x?
With the fact that there is no ArcMap available for ArcGIS 10.9.x, some limitations arise in a GIS environment with GEONIS Desktop, GEONIS server and WebOffice:
- ArcMap 10.8.1 and GEONIS cannot be installed on the same computer as ArcGIS server 10.9.x. Currently many customers install ArcMap, GEONIS and ArcGIS Server on the same computer. This facilitates the administration. In the future, a separate admin client is required.
- Since no ArcGIS Engine is available with version 10.9.x, classic printing in WebOffice cannot be used anymore. For this matter, a change to VertiGIS Printing must be made. Therefore all print layouts for WebOffice have to be recreated.
With VertiGIS Printing, the data in the PDFs is no longer displayed dynamically, but in raster form. This has an impact on the print quality.
- To display labels in WebGIS, GEONIS Textrenderer labels must be converted to annotations. In addition, these must be automatically updated on a regular basis. Since this requires a GEONIS Desktop installation, the update scripts have to run rather often on the GIS server. Starting with version 10.9.x this scenario is no longer possible, because GEONIS and ArcGIS Server cannot be installed on the same computer. This means that all configurations, scripts and tasks for updating the annotations must be set up again on a separate client.
- Therefore, the Enterprise Geodatabase version must not be updated to the current 10.9.x version.
- Further dependencies (e.g. for 3rd party software, interfaces) cannot be excluded and may lead to restrictions and additional work.
What does VertiGIS recommend?
The current GEONIS version is compatible with ArcGIS 10.6.1 as well as ArcGIS 10.8.1. All future GEONIS releases will support both versions. We recommend an update to the current GEONIS version as well as an update of ArcMap to version 10.8.1. Both desktop and server side. Esri will deliver patches for ArcGIS 10.8.1 until 2026.
You still want to install ArcGIS 10.9.x?
We can provide the GEONIS server SOE’s and SOI on a project basis.
This means that we advise you on what the architecture for operation must look like and point out what efforts or costs may incur (e.g. providing additional VMs).
We accept support requests, but we will reproduce error messages in officially released software versions. If a problem can be traced back to the operation with ArcGIS 10.9.x and a fix from us is necessary, we will reserve the right to charge the expenses for the fix.